Terms and Conditions for Nonprofit/Voluntary Organizations Participation in SCiP (Commencing an Internship)
Through commencing an internship, your organization agrees to the terms and conditions of the Serving Communities Internship Program (SCiP). This form constitutes an agreement between your organization and Volunteer Alberta as set out herein and is not subject to any other written or verbal condition, qualification, or agreement.
Term and Conditions of the Agreement with Volunteer Alberta:
The term of this agreement includes the agreed upon term and deliverables as set out in the letter of agreement between your organization and the intern.
Your organization will be responsible to Volunteer Alberta as outlined and as required to enable the Serving Communities Internship Program activities. Additionally, your organization:
- Will immediately notify Volunteer Alberta of any changes to the contact information provided.
- Possesses an awareness of the SCiP objectives.
- Will ensure the internship is consistent with the spirit and intent of the organizational Terms and Conditions.
- Ensure that SCiP intern(s) have a specified project or activity with clearly outlined objectives that support the advancement of your organization’s mission.
- Articulates the objectives of the internship and ensure that the SCiP intern agree to the objectives prior to the commencement of the internship.
- Ensure the Letter of Agreement is submitted, to create a clear written understanding of the timeframe, working arrangements and desired outcomes between your organization and the SCiP intern.
- Commit to creating a meaningful opportunity for the SCiP intern that helps develop practical skills and learning opportunities.
- Provide Volunteer Alberta with timely responses to questions and requests, and access to appropriate information, including feedback on performance and deliverables of your internship as requested.
- Maintain an organizational environment that supports your intern and engages them in a meaningful way that helps move your organization’s mission forward.
- Ensure that posted internship opportunities are offered as open competitions. As required, your organization will conduct interviews in accordance with the procedures outlined on the SCiP website.
- Internships are a maximum of 12 months in length. Internships that exceed this length may be automatically terminated.
- Internships are deliverables based, therefore time keeping is not required. Internships must be fair and equitable for interns. For more information on internship lengths please see the Organization FAQs.
Volunteer Alberta will be responsible to your organization as outlined:
- Provide all necessary support materials and documents through the SCiP website for the administration of SCiP internships.
- Provide support throughout the internship so that conflicts are resolved adequately according to SCiP policies and the experience is meaningful for all involved.
Although Volunteer Alberta is supporting organizations in the development and promotion of internships, we cannot guarantee that an intern will apply and accept the internship(s) developed and posted by your organization.
Your organization will provide to Volunteer Alberta all relevant information and reports as outlined in the SCiP website.
Your organization will be responsible for all insurance and liability coverage required for the duration of the internship.
The intent of SCIP is for interns to gain experience and organizations to gain capacity and no partial awards can be allocated. As such, Volunteer Alberta wants to do everything in its power to ensure internships are completed. If there is a conflict or barrier to internship completion, organizations are expected to follow their own conflict resolution procedures when there is one in place and contact Volunteer Alberta as required for support and assistance. Volunteer Alberta is the only party that is able to withdraw students from an internship.
This agreement carries with it no commitment respecting continuation of services by Volunteer Alberta beyond the specified term.