Terms and Conditions for Post-Secondary Student Participation in SCiP
Through your participation, you agree to the terms and conditions of the Serving Communities Internship Program (SCiP). This form constitutes an agreement between you and Volunteer Alberta as set out herein and is not subject to any other written or verbal condition, qualification, or agreement.
Term and Conditions of the Agreement with Volunteer Alberta:
The term of this agreement shall be from your date of registration until you withdraw from SCiP.
You will be responsible to Volunteer Alberta as outlined and as required to enable the Serving Communities Internship Program activities. Additionally, by submitting your registration information you declare and understand that:
- Through participation, I accept responsibilities for adhering to the terms and conditions outlined below and following all the steps described in the website.
- All information provided is true and complete and is subject to review by Volunteer Alberta and/or the Government of Alberta.
- You are a post-secondary student according to the following guidelines: A post-secondary student means a student living in Alberta who is:
- a Canadian Citizen;
- a Permanent Resident; or
- an international student with appropriate authorization as may be required from Citizenship and Immigration Canada to participate in the SCiP Program (up to 10% of the Internships will be available to international students)
- registered in and attending at least one class at one of the 26 qualifying institutions (see below) in the academic year in which they do their SCiP internship.
**Based on these criteria, if you do not qualify and complete an internship, the $1000 award will not be rewarded. We cannot determine full eligibility for an award until you have finished an internship, before applying for an internship please be sure you qualify for SCiP**
4. You are a student at one of Alberta’s 26 publicly funded post-secondary institutions. The eligible institutions are:
- Alberta College of Art and Design
- Ambrose University College
- Athabasca University
- Bow Valley College
- Burman University
- Concordia University College
- Grande Prairie Regional College
- MacEwan University
- Keyano College
- Lakeland College
- Lethbridge College
- Medicine Hat College
- Mount Royal University
- NorQuest College
- Northern Alberta institute of Technology
- Northern lakes College
- Olds College
- Portage College
- Red Deer College
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology
- St. Mary’s University College
- The Banff Centre University of Alberta
- The King’s University College
- University of Alberta
- University of Calgary
- University of Lethbridge
*Students enrolled in institutions located outside of Alberta are not eligible.
- You are enrolled in an eligible program: part time or full time student in a degree, diploma, certificate, or graduate studies program at an eligible institution. Open studies, non-credit, upgrading, or continuing education students do not qualify.
- You must be able to provide proof of enrollment indicating this.
- An “Intern” means a post-secondary student who has applied for and received formal acceptance of a SCiP internship at a participating nonprofit/voluntary organization.
- An “Internship” means the placement of a post-secondary student, through SCiP, in a specified project or initiative with a qualifying nonprofit/voluntary organization in Alberta the meets the program guidelines.
- A “Program Year” runs from August 1st to July 31.
- Internships may not last more than 12 months from the commencement of the internship.
- You may only participate in one SCiP internship per program year.
- You may not use a SCiP internship to meet an academic requirement or receive school credit. This includes using a SCiP internship for a course placement or practicum.
- You will immediately notify Volunteer Alberta of any changes to the contact information provided.
- You will immediately notify Volunteer Alberta of any changes to your student status that would make you ineligible for participation in SCiP.
- You agree to participate in all questionnaires and surveys regarding your participation in SCiP.
- The SCiP award is disbursed after the completion of a SCiP internship and requires specific documentation to be submitted to the Government of Alberta. In the event that after completing a SCiP internship an intern is determined to have been ineligible for the program the intern will not receive an award. Information on the application process for the SCiP award is on the website.
- Award requests must be submitted within 18 months of the submission of the Letter of Agreement. Award requests submitted after this date will not be eligible for processing and payment.
Volunteer Alberta cannot guarantee that you will be offered an internship.
Interns are subject to period review by Volunteer Alberta. If you are found to not be meeting the agreed upon terms and conditions of this, or any internship agreement, you will be supported through a remediation process and withdrawn from an internship agreement. This may impact your future participation in SCiP.
The intent of SCIP is for interns to gain experience and organizations to gain capacity and no partial awards can be allocated. As such, Volunteer Alberta wants to do everything in its power to ensure internships are completed. If there is a conflict or barrier to internship completion, interns are expected to follow their organizations conflict resolution procedures when there is one in place, and contact Volunteer Alberta as required for support and assistance. Volunteer Alberta is the only party that is able to withdraw students from an internship.
This agreement carries with it no commitment respecting continuation of services by Volunteer Alberta beyond the specified term.