The Serving Communities Internship Program (SCiP) provides students with experience and skills in the nonprofit/voluntary sector that are transferable to a wide range of future opportunities. Use the following resources to help in your internship search, as well as in landing a future job!
Writing a Résumé
Here are a few different résumé formats from the Government of Alberta’s Learning Information Service.
- Purpose and Format of a Résumé
- Chronological résumé
- Functional résumé
- Chronological and functional combination résumé
- Résumé Checklist
Here are some tips from TalentEgg on writing cover letters. Looking for a bit more advice? Here are some sample cover letters from About.com:
- Cover Letters Overview
- Analyst cover letter sample
- Marketing cover letter sample
- Assistant Social Worker cover letter sample
- You can also read our article on '10 Things You Need to Know About Résumé and Cover Letters'.
This information from the Government of Alberta will help you prepare for interviews:
- Using the STARS Interviewing Technique
- Tips for a Successful Interview
- What to Say About Your Disability
Where Else Can I Find Career and Resume Help?
Most of the 26 eligible post-secondary institutions have career services centres. We’ve compiled ato help you connect with your school’s resources. You can also check out these resources from the Government of Alberta:
- A Guide for New Job Seekers
- Advanced Techniques for Work Search
- How to Make A Good First Impression
- Six Ways to Stand Out at Work
Work and Volunteer in Nonprofit Organizations
Once you’ve had a taste of what it’s like to work in the nonprofit/voluntary sector, you may be curious what type of career you can make in the sector or where to find volunteer opportunities.
Looking for employment in the sector?
- Check out Volunteer Alberta’s list of nonprofit job boards.
- Try the HR Council’s ‘Career Explorer’ tool to navigate your way through a number of career options in the nonprofit sector.
Looking for volunteer opportunities?
- Visit Go Volunteer or Get Involved to find current volunteer postings across Alberta.
- For more information on volunteering, including tools and resources as well as inspiration, check out Get Volunteering.
- Contact your local Volunteer Centre for information and opportunities in your community.
- For national information on volunteering, visit Volunteer Canada.
Looking for more information about the nonprofit/voluntary sector?
- Start with Imagine Canada’s Narrative Toolkit to learn about the ins and outs of Canada’s nonprofit/voluntary sector. The rest of Imagine Canada’s website is also full of research and information you may find interesting!
- For provincial information on the nonprofit/volunteer sector check out Volunteer Alberta. Volunteer Alberta offers SCiP, along with other programs, services, and resources for Alberta nonprofit organizations.
- In Edmonton, you can visit the Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organizations (ECVO).
- In Calgary, you can visit the Calgary Chamber of Voluntary Organizations (CCVO) or Propellus.