Green Garbologist Intern
|Anticipated Timeline||June 1 - August 10th|
|Organization||Sign in to view|
|Contact Name||Sign in to view|
|Contact Phone||Sign in to view|
|Contact Email||Sign in to view|
Green Calgary is a local environmental charity that has been helping Calgarians green the way they live, work and play for over 40 years. Our work is about supporting everyone in Calgary (and the surrounding area) become better environmental stewards for the planet. We accomplish this through a multitude of programs, initiatives, and events.
Our Green Garbologist Intern will work closely with our Green Workplace staff attend events that support event greening (basically reducing the environmental impact of summer events); work on waste assessments and audits (including the technical details of conducting a waste audit of a company’s trash); and work to support our green initiatives in the commercial/business sector.. It's a tall order and this is one of our busiest seasons at Green Calgary. Trying to be everywhere at once isn't possible but we'd like to be in as many places as possible - showcasing how Calgary’s businesses can embrace green initiatives and become more sustainable in their operations.
The successful candidate will also help support our spring/summer environmental work with businesses as well as learn more about environmental assessments; help develop possible ideas and content for webinars, workshops, and educational initiatives; and help us engage Calgary’s business community in sustainability.
Required time commitments:
• Flexibility to work some weekday mornings/early afternoons
• Morning availability on July 9th – 11th
Ideal for someone with course work in:
- Building Environmental Systems Technology
- Built Environment Engineering Technology
- Environmental Sciences
- Sustainable Urban Design
- Environmental Design
- Environmental Technology
Some specialized skills required:
- Familiar with the concept of waste diversion and waste reduction
- Familiar and comfortable with using Excel spreadsheets
- Great interpersonal skills and familiarity working within a team of volunteers
- Event organization and support skills
- Can’t be squeamish around garbage!
- Knowledge of City of Calgary’s waste and recycling streams
What we will accomplish at the end of the Internship:
- Faciliate learning around how businesses can reduce their waste output
- Facilitate learning around how businesses can lower their carbon footprint
- Assist in waste reduction efforts at Stampede events