Conservation Project Outreach Assistant
|Anticipated Timeline||February 1, 2019-July 31, 2019|
|Organization||Sign in to view|
|Contact Name||Sign in to view|
|Contact Phone||Sign in to view|
|Contact Email||Sign in to view|
Since 2012 the Friends of Helen Schuler Nature Centre Society have encouraged participation in the conservation projects like the annual Coulee Clean-Up program! As a result hundreds of bags of garbage have been removed from natural areas throughout Lethbridge for the betterment of people, animals, and the Oldman Watershed.
This year we are looking to provide direct assistance with the organization and delivery of the Coulee Clean-Up and Shoreline Clean-Up programs provided by the Helen Schuler Nature Centre.
Help us launch and run successful community conservation projects in Spring 2019!
Coulee Clean-Up campaign will run April 22 (Earth Day) until May 31
- Help us organize and participate in 7 drop-in clean-ups in various areas throughout Lethbridge to provide opportunities for individuals to participate;
- Help us support groups, teams, schools, and organizations who pick their coulee, and clean-up date - we will provide all supplies and training to ensure a successful cleanup;
- Assist with data collection and data entry for each clean-up area (101 different areas), including number of volunteer participants, number of bags of garbage collected, weight of garbage collected, types of garbage found, and strangest item found.
Shoreline Clean-Up campaign will run June until September
- Help us organize and participate in 4 drop-in Shoreline Clean-Up events for residents to participate in;
- Help us support groups, teams, schools, and organizations to organize their own Shoreline Clean-Up to help ensure success and submission of clean-up data to the national database;
- Assist with data collection and data entry of specific data collected from each clean-up area, including what items were found, number of volunteer participants, number of bags of garbage collected, and observations on impact of litter on shoreline and aquatic life.
Ideal for someone with course work in:
- Event Management
- Digital Communications and Media
- Adult and Community Education
- Applied Science - Conservation Enforcement
- Environmental Resource Management
- Environmental Assessment and Restoration
Some specialized skills required:
- Attention to detail
- People person, comfortable communicating by email and in person
- Some events planning/marketing experience an asset
- Enjoys spending time outside engaged in conservation projects
- Excellent organization
What we will accomplish at the end of the Internship:
- Increase community's time spent outside and sense of stewardship
- Increase awareness of our organization's mission and values
- Help plan, promote, and participate in 4 Shoreline Clean-Up events
- Help plan, promote, and participate in 7 Coulee Clean-Up events