SCiP accepts many kinds of internship applications from participating organizations. However, we require internships to meet some general criteria to be considered eligible for the program. SCiP internships must:
- Be meaningful and skills-based opportunities for post-secondary students.
- Be used to meet specific capacity challenges, not for long-term organizational sustainability.
- Be able to be completed within 60-100 hours and be a maximum of 12 months in length.
- Have supports available from the organization for the completion of the internships (e.g., resources, time, staff capacity, etc.).
- Be flexible to a student’s schedule.
- Support the advancement of the organization’s mission.
- Have clearly defined deliverables that are specific and measurable (e.g., a completed X by January, a finished and print-ready Y, technical support for Z, etc.). Please note, internship deliverables should not be written as development goals (e.g., the student will learn more about X, the intern will gain a greater understanding of Y, the student will develop their skills in Z.)
- Occur after the date that the internship application is submitted to the SCiP team for approval. Please note, SCiP internships cannot be retroactive. A student cannot sign a letter of agreement for work that the student has already completed.
If a submitted internship application doesn’t meet the above criteria, the application may be declined, and/or the organization may be encouraged to resubmit using feedback provided by the SCiP team.
Please note that all SCiP internship applications, including newly revised applications, can take up to five business days to process.